Wednesday, February 20, 2008

So, what will I be doing?

I have had a lot of questions so far. So, I thought I'd answer them here.

When do I leave? I will leave in mid August this year. It will come fast!

How long will I be in Beijing? I signed a two-year contract, so I will be there at least two years. Many teachers sign a new contract when the first two years are up. I'll decide that later.

What exactly will I be teaching? I will have a first grade class in an international school. I will teach reading, writing, math, science, social studies, etc. The kids will also have a Mandarin teacher, a P.E. teacher, a music teacher, and an art teacher. They will get Mandarin instruction every day and P.E., music, and art twice each six-day cycle. When the kids go to these other classes, I have time to prep and collaborate with the first grade team. The kids also get library and computer time.

Do the kids speak English? Yes! There will be a few English Language Learners but the kids have to have a foreign passport in order to enroll. So that means that I may have kids who are Chinese or half Chinese as long as they have a passport from somewhere else. I will also have kids from all over the world.

Will you live on an American settlement? (Cute Audrey.) The school provides an apartment for me. After the first year, they give a housing allowance and I can choose where I want to live.

Will you be there during the Olympics? Yes! I will arrive right in the middle! I don't know if I'll be able to actually go see any events, but I will be there!

I hope that gives you all a little more information about what I will actually be doing. Send me some more questions and I will let you know more info as soon as I find out myself!

--Sarah--

No comments: