Saturday, May 16, 2009

Hiking in Shidu

I went to Shidu on May 15th with some other people from my school. Shidu is about 2 1/2 hours away from Beijing by bus.



On the way up, I saw two horses and a zebra all saddled up. Yes, a zebra. I stared at it as we passed by thinking that something was amiss. It looked like a zebra but not quite. Hmmm. We'll get back to this later.

Shidu is described as the Guilin of the Beijing area. If you saw my pictures from Guilin, you might remember the karst mountains along a river. In Shidu, the same type of mountains are there and somewhat of a river is there as well. There are several places you can cross this river but you have to use a chain bridge. This bridge has wooden planks to walk on and chain sides to keep you from falling off as it sways. It is very long and does it ever sway....




There are lots of things to do in Shidu. You can ride ATVs, roll around in an inflatable ball, bungee jump, zipline, float on a bamboo raft, and apparently it is also a popular place for wedding pictures.







We mainly went to hike to see the waterfalls.


There are a lot of steps to climb.



One section is somehow attached to the wall with quite a drop below.



You would think this beautiful, peaceful-looking place would sound quiet and serene, wouldn't you?



On our way back I thought we might pass the zebra so I told someone on that side of the bus to look out for it. I also told them, it is possible that it is not a zebra and merely a white horse with stripes painted on it. We did indeed pass the the 'zebra' and the others confirmed my suspicions. Stripes of black paint. Sorry I didn't have a chance to snap a picture of it. Hopefully I will see a real zebra (one without a saddle) this summer in Africa and I will definitely get pictures of those!

More pictures here!


--Sarah--

P.S. Posting is difficult at the moment. This site started being blocked again here a few weeks ago and my guess is that it will continue to be blocked until at least after June 4th.

No comments: