Friday, September 26, 2008

Some Inspiration

Today, my school participated in the Terry Fox Run. I had not heard of Terry Fox before coming here but I would like to share with you some of what I have learned. Terry Fox was born in Canada and was involved in several sports as a kid. When he was 18, he was diagnosed with bone cancer and was forced to have his right leg amputated six inches above the knee. This was in 1977. While in the hospital, he decided that he wanted to run across Canada to raise money for cancer research. He would call his run The Marathon of Hope.

After training for 18 months and running over 3,000 miles during this time, Terry started his run in St. John’s, Newfoundland on April 12, 1980. He began with little attention. He ran the equivalent of a marathon every day through Quebec and Ontario.

On September 1st, after 143 days and 3,339 miles, Terry was forced to stop running outside of Thunder Bay, Ontario because cancer had appeared in his lungs. Terry passed away on June 28, 1981 at age 22.

Each year, a Terry Fox Run is held across Canada and around the world. More than $400 million has been raised worldwide for cancer research in Terry's name.

My school participated in the Terry Fox Run today from the three-year-olds in EC3 all the way up to Grade 12. I'm not sure how much our school raised for the Terry Fox Foundation, but I do know that several of my kids donated money and all of them ran!
www.terryfoxrun.org

--Sarah--

No comments: