Saturday, December 5, 2009

Leah and her 'Rents Visit - Part III: Xi'an

After leaving Shanghai, we took a flight to Xi'an. This is the second time I had been to this city but we did a couple of things that I didn't do on my last visit.

First thing the morning after we arrived, we went to the old city wall to ride tandem bikes. Leah and I rode our Cooperate Cycle and her parents got their own individual bikes. Roger got a lot of great pictures and videos of the riding including the only pictures of Leah and me on our bike so I will add those when they send them to me. (Hint, hint!)
We stopped to watch the dancers on the other side of the wall.

After riding around the wall, we went to see the Terracotta Warriors.
Next, I took the Cochrans to their first tea ceremony in China! Roger and Richelle like tea and Richelle has a collection of tea sets. They enjoyed the ceremony and we all bought some tea. We managed to plan it just as a downpour happened outside.
After the tea ceremony, we were supposed to go visit the Big Wild Goose Pagoda, but it was still raining so we went for foot massages instead.
That killed the time until our dinner show began. We went to the Tang Dynasty Show where you watch the dances while eating a variety of dumplings. The dumplings are shaped as whatever is inside. So, the little ones shaped like pigs have pork, the little fish have fish, and the little pumpkins.... are delicious!
After the show, we headed over to the train station to board for our overnight trip to Pingyao. We had a four-bed soft sleeper room for the four of us. I don't think any of us got much sleep though.
More pictures over at flickr.

--Sarah--

No comments: